Monday, November 11, 2013

Book Review: Gracious Living Without Servants

18590641Gracious Living Without Servants by Brenda Cronin


Source: Review Copy

Genre: Literary Fiction
Format: Paperback

From the Publisher...


Juliet has done the right thing all her life, and where’s it gotten her? She’s a thirty-year-old widow who’s had to move in with her parents.


Things start to look up when her glamorous—but married—neighbor Seth seems to be flirting with her and helps her land a job at a local paper.

Then she’s assigned to investigate Seth’s wife. Juliet is quickly immersed in lies, manipulation, and a deepening sex scandal. But she feels alive for the first time in a long time.

Maybe she needs to do the wrong thing for once. Or maybe she’s headed for disaster.



From Me...



I almost gave up on this book after the first few chapters.  After finding out that Seth, the married neighbor was 65 years old, I was very skeptical.  The main problem I had was that I knew I couldn't root for the main couple.  Since this was a review copy, I kept reading and I'm glad that I did.  I decided that instead of rooting for the main couple, I rooted against them.  This made for a lot of funny faces while reading and very satisfying ending.

Were it not for my problems with the central relationship, I probably would have enjoyed this book a lot more.  As it was, the book was well-written and very good. The main character was very sympathetic until the affair started, but even after that I wanted her to  get better and start thinking straight.  Once I really thought about it, I finally understood that Juliet was a very lost person who possibly made some possibly poor life choices.  Understanding that basic fact makes some of her behavior much more understandable. 

I would have rated this book a four or five if I was more open to the relationship between Seth and Juliet. If this doesn't bother you at all, then you will definitely enjoy this book.  I am glad I agreed to read it.


tlc tour host.png

 


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this lively review of Gracious Living Without Servants. I appreciate that you laid out both your positive and negative responses. I think you're right to root against Seth and Juliet as a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! It was fun to read, an dI hope I get to tour with you guys again!!!

      Delete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Glamour Amour kit by Irene Alexeeva and the Oh La La kit by NewLifeDreams Design